Crime Library: Criminal Minds and Methods

New Orleans Sportscaster Charged in Wife's Death

"Not Guilty"
Plea Entered

The following day, December 8, dressed in an orange inmate jumpsuit, Marinello was arraigned before Commissioner Kiff. A not-guilty plea was entered on his behalf by Richard Tompson, the chief indigent defender for Jefferson Parish. Kiff then assigned the case to Judge Conn Regan, also of 24th Judicial District Court, for a February hearing.

Following the arraignment, Marinello was advised by Tompson not to discuss the case with anyone except the public defender assigned to represent him. Earlier that day, Marinello learned that Shelly Vix would be his court-appointed attorney.

On Sunday, December 24, just in time for Christmas, Marinello received an early present in the form of his release on a $500,000 commercial bond. The bond allowed him to remain free until his trial. Neither Marinello nor anyone from the Jefferson Parish Sheriff's Office would say who put up the extra bail money. Four days later, in a front page headline story in the Times-Picayune, it was announced that Marinello was placed under "house arrest" (home incarceration) at his mother's condo.

When reached by reporters, Marinello declined to say how he was able to make the $500,000 bond, other than to hint that others had come to his aid. "I didn't bail myself out. I have no assets. I didn't put up anything," he said.

It was learned at the time that the original $250,000 bond Marinello put up in September was kept intact, and $500,000 was added to it to reach the $750,000 total ordered by Judge Benge.

As was the case during his first release on bail, Marinello was required to wear the electronic tracking bracelet on his ankle. He is expected to remain free but is confined to his mother's condo until his next court date. If convicted, Marinello could spend the rest of his life behind bars.

We're Following
Slender Man stabbing, Waukesha, Wisconsin
Gilberto Valle 'Cannibal Cop'