Crime Library: Criminal Minds and Methods

The Murder of Radio Legend Steven B. Williams

A Final Piece of Evidence

Detectives would discover one more damning set of facts for use against Morrow.

On the morning of May 5, 2006, when the GPS system showed a boat coming into Los Angeles Harbor, Morrow was expected to go fishing with two friends on a large Central California river bordering Nevada.

The men were supposed to leave Los Angeles at 5 a.m., but Morrow was a no-show at their designated meeting place. Friend Mark Landers called him after waiting 15 minutes. Morrow answered the phone, saying he overslept and would be right over.

Another 15 minutes passed, and Landers called again. Morrow promised to arrive immediately, according to court records.

By 6:10 a.m., the men were ready to leave without him when Morrow pulled up in his car. He "looked like he had been up for four or five days," Landers later testified. "He didn't really look hung over. His face was very, very, very, flushed. He didn't smell of alcohol. He just looked like somebody who hadn't slept in maybe three days."

Morrow slept for the first two hours of the ride to their destination. During the trip, Morrow mentioned that he had visited Santa Catalina with Williams. The next day, the men shot guns at targets. Morrow said, "This is kind of neat. I haven't shot a gun in a while," Landers testified.

About five days later, Landers visited Morrow on his boat. He had been there before and had once met Williams as Williams had been cooking a fish dinner. During a tour of the boat, he had seen Williams' cabin, which was filled with his belongings.

But this time it was different.

"I looked in, and it was spotless, and I mean spotless," Landers said of Williams' cabin. "It was antiseptic. There wasn't a pair of slippers. There wasn't a book. The bed was made. I mean, it was just like everything was gone. Everything."

He was told that Williams was in Hawaii.


We're Following
Slender Man stabbing, Waukesha, Wisconsin
Gilberto Valle 'Cannibal Cop'