Crime Library: Criminal Minds and Methods

C-Murder: Rapper Lives His Lyrics

Home Incarceration

Finally, on March 21, 2006, for the first time in more than four years, Corey Miller walked into a courtroom unshackled and without an orange jumpsuit. Accompanied by Rakosky and several family members, he entered Sassone's Division K courtroom well-groomed with dark suit pants, a light blue shirt, a white tie and aviator glasses. There he would be notified about his bail and the terms of his temporary release.

A week earlier, over the objections of the Jefferson D.A.'s office who still considered Corey "dangerous," Sassone had set bail at $500,000. Corey would be essentially placed in a "home incarceration" program at the home of his grandmother, Maxine Miller, in the New Orleans suburb of Kenner. His movements and communications would be strictly monitored by law enforcement authorities. The judge set limits on who Corey could have as visitors and who he could talk to on the telephone. Parties weren't allowed. Neither were interviews with the media. Corey would have to submit to random drug screenings. Only immediate family members could visit the house, in addition to Corey's attorneys and in-home care workers who assist Maxine. Anyone with a felony conviction would not be allowed. Corey could only leave the property for court dates or meetings with his legal team.

"These are very stringent rules, and one infraction is going to result in revocation of your bond," Sassone warned Corey during the brief hearing. "I hope you're going to adhere to these rules."

"I understand, your honor," Corey replied softly.

With no retrial date having been set on the Steve Thomas murder, Corey Miller, formerly known as C-Murder, remains in home incarceration and under close observation. There is speculation that the Jefferson Parish D.A's Office may opt to not try Corey again since most of the prosecution witnesses have been discredited, which would mean that Corey would be a free man.

However, he is not out of the woods yet. He may have other troubles on his plate in the months to come. On March 17, Judge Anthony Marabella of the 19th Judicial District Court in Baton Rouge set bail at $250,000 in the attempted murder charge stemming from the incident at Club Raggs nearly five years earlier.

That case is set to be heard May 30, 2006, and it is believed to be a stronger case than the one built by the Jefferson D.A.'s Office, with witnesses and videotaped evidence. The world will be watching this case, anxiously awaiting the outcome.

We're Following
Slender Man stabbing, Waukesha, Wisconsin
Gilberto Valle 'Cannibal Cop'